Bridges and Boundaries: Jewish & African Americans Playing Jazz
The 2011 Alaska Airlines/Horizon Air Portland Jazz Festival presented by US Bank will be held Friday, February 18 through Sunday, February 27 at venues throughout Portland. The week-long festival will include jazz education and outreach along with a series of concerts all supporting the 2011 theme: Bridges and Boundaries: Jewish & African Americans Playing Jazz.
Among this year’s headliners:
- SFJAZZ Collective, in the world premiere of new repertoire paying homage to African American pop icon Stevie Wonder;
- NEA Jazz Master Randy Weston, performing solo piano in support of his new release, The Storyteller, and autobiography, African Rhythms: The Autobiography of Randy Weston;
- celebrated clarinetist Don Byron and his new project dedicated to the great Jewish entertainer, Mickey Katz – a reunion of the groundbreaking and virtuosic klezmer ensemble that recorded Byron’s eponymous Nonesuch album and spearheaded the klezmer revival in the 1990s;
- a special performance by The 3 Cohens, featuring siblings, trumpeter Avishai Cohen, saxophonist/clarinetist Anat Cohen, and pianist Yuval Cohen;
- famed African American violinist Regina Carter will return to Portland, presenting her newest project, Reverse Thread, which traces the musical history of African cultures, including tribes of Ugandan Jews;
- saxophonist Joshua Redman – son of African American saxophonist Dewey Redman and Jewish American dancer Renee Shedroff – leading his new project, James Farm, that includes both African American and Jewish American musicians;
- and the Portland Jazz Festival’s new Artistic & Community Ambassador, bassist Esperanza Spalding (who will lead her new Chamber Music Society in an exclusive Portland area engagement).
How to Purchase Tickets:
Portland Jazz Festival Box Office
Hours of Operation: 11am – 5pm, Monday-Thursday
Order by Phone: 503 228-5299
In Person:133 SW 2nd Avenue, Ste 420 Portland, OR 97204
PCPA Main Box Office
1111 SW Broadway
Open 10 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday through Saturday
Walk up sales only
Handling charges will apply.
You may purchase tickets online, over the phone, or in person with Ticketmaster. Additional handling and convenience charges will apply.
Visit pdxjazz.org for the complete concert schedule:
What is PDX Jazz?
PDX Jazz is Portland’s jazz organization, producing the annual Alaska Airlines/Horizon Air Portland Jazz Festival presented by U.S. Bank. PDX Jazz offers an array of distinguished programs throughout the year in a variety of indoor and outdoor settings boasting internationally recognized artists while supporting regional fan favorites from the Northwest, often times presented in newly configured formats.
PDX Jazz in partnership with Oregon Music News recently initiated a monthly jazz series at PDX Jazz @ Tony Starlight’s, an intimate music venue, located in northeast Portland.
The 2011 Alaska Airlines/Horizon Air Portland Jazz Festival presented by US Bank will feature a series of headline concerts, jazz education and outreach, Gospel and Klezmer Brunches, and panel discussions based around this year’s theme, Bridges and Boundaries: Jewish & African Americans Playing Jazz.