The autumn months give way to a host of agricultural harvest, wine and food festivals, while tree lightings, holiday events and quilt and gem fairs are popular in the winter - OregonsWashingtonCounty.com
Taking a trip to the Portland, Oregon area this month? You are in for a treat! There are dozens of wonderful things happening here in November, so bring on the holiday season!
We have listed some suggestions to choose from this month but encourage you to visit the following sites to help plan your upcoming trip! As always, we are here to help!
A wine and food celebration created to present a rich rewarding experience for wine lovers and gourmet food enthusiasts. Guests can expect a floor filled with over 600 wines and 50 restaurants and gourmet food tastes which feature an incredible array of options for guests. 800-422-0251
- Ducks vs. Beaver Pep Rally: Nov. 27 from 5:30-7:30pm
- Light Up The Night Tree Lighting and The Beatniks Concert: Nov. 29 from 6-8pm
- Bridgeport Express Train: Nov. 29 -Dec. 21 from 11am-2pm and 3pm-5pm daily
- Holiday Magic Light Show: Nov. 29-Dec. 31 On the hour from 5-9pm daily. Watch as Center Court transforms into a Winter Wonderland of snow flurries. You won’t want to miss this magical show of light, sound and snow! Snow Shows every night at 7pm in Center Court
- Fall For Savings: November 4-30
- Holiday tree lighting: On the day after Thanksgiving, thousands of people gather in downtown’s Pioneer Courthouse Square to see the ceremonial lighting of the spectacular 75-foot-tall tree and celebrate the official start of the holiday season.
- Northwest Filmmakers’ Festival: The Northwest Filmmakers’ Festival presents features, documentaries and short films by independent Northwest film and video makers. The offerings are chosen from more than 400 entries by a prominent member of the independent film community. Past judges have included local luminaries Gus Van Sant, Matt Groening and Todd Haynes. Founded in 1973, the festival attracts more than 6,000 attendees annually.
- Wine Country Thanksgiving: During Wine Country Thanksgiving, more than 160 wineries and tasting rooms in the Willamette Valley open their doors for special tastings and holiday festivities over Thanksgiving weekend (Friday-Sunday), offering an opportunity to visit some of the region’s small, family-owned wineries that aren’t usually open to the public. Meet winemakers, enjoy specialty food pairings and live music, all while savoring the region’s acclaimed wines.Full article
- Holiday light displays: Some of Portland’s bright spots include ZooLights, a display of more than a million lights at the Oregon Zoo, and the Christmas Ship Parade, featuring brilliantly decorated boats on the Willamette and Columbia rivers. Many start the day after Thanksgiving, so you can enjoy the holiday cheer in November, too. Full article
When you book the Lights, Camera, Action package at Bridgeport Village, guests can enjoy a short walk to Pastini, one of Bridgeport Village’s most popular restaurants, for dinner and drinks followed by a movie , before retiring to their luxuriously appointed guest room for the evening.
This package includes:
- $50.00 Gift Certificate to Pastini
- (2) Movie Tickets to Regal Cinemas Bridgeport Village Stadium 18
- A night stay in one of our Guest Rooms
Each of our over-sized rooms and suites comes standard with leather furniture in the living room area, a working desk and ergonomic office chair, complimentary high-speed internet access (either hard-wired or wifi), refrigerator, microwave, coffee station complete with organic NW coffee and local teas and a double-sized bathroom complete with a separate shower and tub. Our guests are also welcome to our workout facility, our indoor pool and spa, along with a complimentary hot breakfast buffet.
Please call the Front Desk directly at 866-968-5757 and ask for the ’Lights Camera and Action Package” to take advantage of this offer today!
Have you let this summer pass by without planning a little R & R for yourself? Don’t worry, summer is technically not over until September 21st so there is plenty of time to plan a much needed getaway to Oregon’s Washington Country/Portland area.
Need some help planning your trip? Our front desk staff will be happy to give you recommendations on fun attractions and events! You should can check the following resources for additional ideas:
Here are some local summer festivals coming up that are worth checking out.
- Bridgeport Village Summer Concert Series- Each Thursday evening through August 29th
- Washington County Fair, July 25-28: The annual Washington County Fair returns to the Washington County Fair Complex in Hillsboro with a weekend of carnival rides, live music and entertainment, food and more. Admission is free; individual events may have admission fees.
- 2013 Oregon International Air Show, July 26-28: The Oregon International Air Show is one of the premier aviation events in the Pacific Northwest, and features some of the best in aviation from all over the United States and Canada. The Entertainment Center, KidZone and Military Village offer exciting displays and fun for kids and adults alike. Local vendors will be on hand selling everything from souvenirs to tasty food. Tickets start at $20 ($25 after July 19); discounts for seniors, military and kids, ages 6-12.
- Best of Oregon Food & Wine Festival, August 9-10: The fifth annual Best of Oregon Food & Wine Festival returns to Washington County to showcase Oregon’s culinary culture with dozens of world-class wineries, restaurants and numerous culinary artisans.
- Summer Fest & Garlic Out West, August 9-11: Experience two evenings and three days of good music, food, entertainment, and fun at the 2013 Summer Fest & Garlic Out West. This event offers a 10k Run with Oregon Road Runners, a vintage Car Show, old fashioned parade down Main Street and a Pancake Breakfast. Kids can enjoy a full-size playground, exciting inflatables play area and rock wall. Free admission.
- Tualatin Crawfish Festival, August 9-10: Celebrate good eating–and the city of Tualatin’s 100th birthday–at the Tualatin Crawfish Festival, the nation’s oldest crawfish festival, west of the Mississippi. This is a two-day, fun-filled family event with a variety of food, entertainment, contests, activities for all ages and more.
- Annual Banks Bar-B-Que and Truck & Tractor Pull, August 17-19: This popular community event must be seen to be believed, and features a combine destruction derby, parade, car show, truck tug-of-war, garden tractors and more. General admission is free. Grandstand admission starts at $10 for adults, $5 for kids, ages 6-16.
- Oregon Renaissance Festival, Weekends, Saturday, Aug. 24 – Sunday, Sept. 29: Transport yourself to a 16th century European village at the inaugural Oregon Renaissance Festival, in town for 13 days of merriment. Enjoy talented artists, non-stop stage entertainers, food, crafts, pageantry and encounter beautiful maidens, wandering minstrels, joking jesters and jugglers. Magicians, acrobats, comedians, swordfighters, pirates and fairies will entertain and delight. Be sure to meet the “washing well wenches” and daily performance of an armored jousting. Feast on renaissance-inspired food and drink, including: savory turkey legs, steak on a stake, bangers & mash and chocolate-covered cheesecake.
For a complete list of summer events, including one-day annual events and special events, please visit our Events & Festivals Calendar.
You’ve got to admit: there’s some pretty great movies out there right now. January is always a preferred time for the movies — people generally have a sizable backlog of holiday spectacle movies and Oscar-darling cinema that they just haven’t had time to see yet.
So why are we talking about movies? We’ve decided to take advantage of our proximity to the Bridgeport Village experience and prepared an inclusive package of delicious food and thrilling cinema. The Regal Bridge Village Stadium theatre is 18 theaters of cinema magic just a quick jaunt away. The Lights, Camera, Action package combines one of our rooms with a $50 gift certificate to the guest-favorite Italian bistro, Pastini, and two movie tickets to the enormous Regal Bridge Village Stadium theatre.
The Bridgeport Regal is a popular destination for the Portland metropolitan area. It is new and clean, gives spacious stadium seating and offers an enormous variety of shows on regular and IMAX screens. Have you seen all the Oscar nominees yet? Les Misérables, Django Unchained, Lincoln, Life of Pi, Silver Linings Playbook and Zero Dark Thirty are each showing at the Regal right now. That’s two-thirds of the best picture contenders at one theatre. Ready to be scared silly by Mama? They’ve got it. Skyfall? But of course. And Portland’s own Gus Van Sant’s latest indie flick, Promised Land, just opened here. The number of must-see films is so staggering, we don’t know how you’re going to choose. Check out the package details for more information, or give our front desk a call at (866) 968-5757.
Our Tigard setting lets the Grand Hotel Bridgeport fill a special niche for business and leisure travel to the Portland Oregon metropolitan area. While the hotel is a short drive from the bustle of Portland’s downtown commercial and shopping districts, we enjoy Tigard’s peaceful, small-town atmosphere. It is important to us that our guests and our staff alike can enjoy the warm, friendly community that has been our home for many years.
For our guests, shopping at Tigard is worth the trip itself. The markets of Bridgeport Village, a stone’s throw from our hotel, draws visitors from around the Northwest with its diverse restaurants; upscale retailers like Saks, Apple Store and Crate and Barrel; specialty salons, an IMAX theater and a charming old-world design. At Washington Square in downtown Tigard, visitors can shop at Nordstrom, Coach and many others. Unlike downtown Portland, parking is a cinch and the markets are easy to navigate.
Our town is home to so much. Oregon has an outstanding reputation as home to some of the best artisan beers in the nation, and Tigard is no exception. We are particularly fond of McMenamins’ John Barleycorns brewery and Max’s Fanno Creek Brew Pub. Golfers enjoy Tigard’s Summerfield course and the RedTail course in nearby Beaverton. Tigard’s cultural offerings rival those of neighboring Portland with fun experiences like the Broadway Rose Theater Company and the Lakewood Center for the Arts. And each June, Tigard hosts the unforgettable Festival of Balloons, an annual weekend celebration of air balloons with carnival rides, a fun-run, ribs and music.
Tigard is a business-friendly, thriving community perfectly situated outside of one of the West’s favorite cities. It has treated us well over the years and we are proud to call it our home.
Even if you missed the Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales, there is still plenty of time of take advantage of great savings at premiere shopping centers like Bridgeport Village and Woodburn Company Stores without having to pay a pesky sales tax!
Just for you holiday shoppers, we created the Grand Hotel at Bridgeport Shopping package to help you enjoy holiday shopping by day and unwind in your comfortable room at night. When you book this package, we will also give you a $25 gift card to Bridgeport Village or Woodburn Company Stores (you choose).
Enjoy amenities like free covered parking, free WiFi, indoor pool and workout room, cozy lobby with a fireplace, friendly service, free hot breakfast……and the best part: Convenience! We are within walking distance of Bridgeport Village and a quick drive to Woodburn Company Stores, the largest outlet center in Oregon.
While you are here, also check out:
Washington Square Mall
9585 SW Washington Square Rd.
Tigard, OR 97223
• Traditional major mall located in Tigard along Hwy. 217 near its junction with Interstate 5
• Built in 1974, expanded and renovated in 2005 to become one of the largest retail centers in the Portland metropolitan area
• Four anchor department stores including Oregon’s largest Nordstrom, 170 distinctive retailers including the West Coast’s only Dick’s Sporting Goods, five restaurants and 11-eatery Food Court
The Streets of Tanasbourne
19350 NW Emma Way
Hillsboro, OR 97124
• Located just off Hwy. 26 on NW Cornell Road
• Outdoor shopping cluster of more than 50 specialty shops and national retailers, eight restaurants
Visit www.oregonswashingtoncounty.com for more information on great holiday shopping destinations!
The holiday season is here again and there is no shortage of lively events the whole family will enjoy. Whether you are traveling to visit with family, business or just want to get away for a couple of days, get your holiday spirit on and check out one of these local holiday events happening minutes from The Grand Hotel Bridgeport:
Christmas on Broadway November 21 – December 23, 2012 (show times vary)
Snowbound in a Broadway theater on Christmas Eve, four star-struck holiday travelers use costumes, props, and set pieces to live a shared dream – starring on Broadway! Filled with holiday classics and songs from Broadway shows and composers, this is an evening of holiday magic.
Broadway Rose New Stage 12850 SW Grant Ave
Bridgeport Village Light up the Night Event Fri, November 23, 2012 6-8pm
Gather at Bridgeport Village to enjoy a live holiday concert by The Beatniks, followed by a ceremonial lighting of the 40-foot tree and Santa’s arrival at 7 p.m.
Bridgeport Village 7455 SW Bridgeport Rd.
Victorian Christmas Sat, December 1, 2012 1-4pm
The Tigard Historical Association invites you and your family to experience a Victorian Christmas at the John Tigard House Museum. Enjoy the charms of yesteryear when parlors were furnished with velvet settees and food was cooked on a wood-burning stove.
103rd Avenue & Canterbury Lane
From Heav’n Above Sat, December 1, 2012 7pm
The Oregon Chorale, under the direction of Bernd R. Kuehn, invites you to come hear the major work Von Himmel Hoch by Felix Mendelssohn, performed with orchestra and soloists. Old World Christmas carols will round out the concert.
Tigard United Methodist Church 9845 SW Walnut Place
Starry Nights and Holiday Lights Fri, December 7, 2012 5:30-8:30pm
Kick off the holiday season at Tualatin‘s Starry Nights & Holiday Lights, a special night filled with thousands of twinkling lights, caroling and a floating holiday tree. Enjoy activities for the kids, refreshments, and holiday cheer.
Tualatin Commons 8325 SW Nyberg Rd
Community Concerts off the Commons Sat, December 8, 2012 7:30pm
On the second Saturday of the month, enjoy an evening of musical entertainment at Community Concerts off the Commons. This concert features Bronnie Griffin, Johnny Box Connolly, Cary Novotny, Nancy Conescu and Mike Doolin. Tickets available through www.brownpapertickets.com.
Winona Grange 8340 SW Seneca St
Alpaca Open Barn & Holiday Sale November 23rd-November 24th
Take a break from the annual Thanksgiving winery tours to meet colorful alpacas and their babies, chat with breeders, and do some holiday shopping. The Barn Store has teddy bears, clothing, handcrafted items and yarns for knitters and hand spinners.
Alpacas of Oregon 21345 SW Aebischer Rd
Sherwood Winter Festival Sat, December 1, 2012
Santa will kick off the holiday season at Sherwood’s Winter Festival. This special holiday event includes a community parade, tree lighting, holiday music, kids’ activities, and free hot dogs and cocoa.
Sherwood Plaza Shopping Center 16300 SW Langer Drive
Tree Lighting Ceremony presented by SmartPark Friday November 23 5:30pm
Be Merry at the Square! On the busiest shopping day of the year, the day after Thanksgiving, thousands of Portlanders will gather at the Square to celebrate the official start of the season by lighting the City’s spectacular 75ft Douglas-fir tree provided by Stimson Lumber Company. The Tree Lighting Ceremony, now in its 28th year, will feature a holiday sing-a-long featuring Portland’s own Thomas Lauderdale with members of Pink Martini and friends. With a big tree, 14,000 colorful lights and a festive community sing-a-long, this is an event you won’t want to miss in Portland’s living room
Holiday Ale Festival November 28th through December 2nd (check website for times)
Entering its 17th year, the Holiday Ale Festival will be at Pioneer Courthouse Square November 28th through December 2nd. More than 40+ breweries will be featured at this year’s event, all of which are created specifically to bring warmth and cheer to the holiday season. From Belgians and Barleywines to Porters and Stouts, these beers are rich, robust and full of complex flavors. For more information visit www.holidayale.com Ages 21+
Crafty Wonderland Super Colossal Holiday Sale December 8th & December 9th (11am – 6pm both days)
This biannual sale turns the Oregon Convention Sale into a true wonderland of all things handmade each spring and winter. The December event is scheduled so you find the perfect made-in-Portland gifts in time for the holidays.
Festival of Lights at The Grotto – November 23, 2012 through December 30, 2012 (closed Christmas Day)
An amazing display of more than 500,000 lights illuminates the largest choral festival in the Paciﬁc Northwest. A petting zoo, puppet shows and seasonal food and beverages also highlight the event.
Parade of Christmas Ships December 7 – 21, 2012
For more than 50 years, this ﬂeet of 55-60 brightly lit boats has staged performances on the Willamette and Columbia rivers during the holiday season. Visit the Christmas Ships website for dates, times and best viewing locations.
Columbia River Willamette River
ZooLights Festival Friday, Nov. 23rd to Monday, Dec. 31st. There will be no ZooLights Monday, Dec. 24 or Tuesday, Dec. 25.
The Oregon Zoo becomes a holiday fairyland as one of Portland’s largest light displays blazes to life. Decorated train rides, kids’ activities, and music by community groups.
Check with these sources for additional events and information:
With an enviable array of renowned stores, boutiques, restaurants and the largest Regal Cinema in the state (now with an IMAX Theater), it is easy to see why visitors find this destination so appealing.
In the spirit of Halloween, the center is offering fun activities for the whole family that includes:
Pumpkin Decorating Party: Saturday, October 13 from 2-5pm. Decorate mini-pumpkins courtesy of Baggenstos Farm and enjoy live pumpkin carving by a master Pumpkin Carver and entertainment by Radio Disney.
Streets of Treats Harvest Festival: Sunday, October 28 from 2-5pm. Trick-or-Treat at participating stores, costume contest, witch shack and more from Radio Disney.
Halloween, October 31 from 4-6pm, Wander the streets and stores of Bridgeport Village in search of yummy treats and goodies.
Know someone who is planning a wedding? Brides-to-be can find all of their wedding needs in one place from 11:00am-4:00pm. More than 20 Bridgeport retailers and 60 wedding professionals will be on hand to help you plan every detail of your big day and admission is free!
Very Engaging Bridal Event
11am-4pm Sunday, September 30, 2012
Bridgeport Village 7455 SW Bridgeport Rd. Tigard, OR 97224
Admission is free
Click here for more details.
Portland Monthly’s Bride & Groom is a consumer-focused, bridal fashion magazine. Each issue contains columns, advice, tips, fashion photography, photographs of real weddings, style—all designed to help the future bride-to-be design the wedding of her dreams.
Bridgeport Village is the Pacific Northwest’s preeminent fashion and lifestyle shopping center. Consisting of 500,000 sq.ft., the center offers an outstanding and enviable array of the regions first and exclusive one of a kind and internationally renowned stores and boutiques including Cole Haan, The Container Store, Crate & Barrel, Z-Gallerie, Eileen Fisher, Patrick James, MAC Cosmetics, Tommy Bahama, Under U 4 Men along with the first Coldwater Creek Spa and the largest Regal Cinema in the state — now with an IMAX Theater.
Visit www.bridgeport-village.com to see a complete list of Center Events and a current list of Store Promotions and Sales
Fall is just around the corner and this is the perfect time to indulge in some tax free shopping and a bit of “me” time as you relax in your hotel room. While you are on your visit, we suggest that you be on the look out for some of these fun local events recommended by our staff:
Ongoing: Events, concerts and tastings at wineries throughout the region. See northwillamettevintners.org for details.
September Event Staff Picks
- Music Fest NW in Portland September 5-9
- Tualatin Riverfront Music Festival September 8
- Bridgeport Village Girls’ Night Out September 13
- Tualatin Hispanic Heritage Month Celebration September 15
- Very Engaging Bridal Event at Bridgeport Village Sunday, September 30th
October Event Staff Picks:
- North Willamette Harvest Trail and Grand Tasting October 06
- The 26th Annual Great Onion Festival Saturday, October 13
- Smith Berry Barn Heirloom Apple Festival October 13-14
- Oregon Heritage Farms Apple Festival October 14
- 9th Annual West Coast Giant Pumpkin Regatta Sat, Oct 20th
More Portland Events:
- Art in the Pearl – Labor Day weekend
- Time-Based Art (TBA) Festival – September 6-16
- Feast Portland September 21-22
- Portland Fashion Week October 5-9
- Portland Open Studios October 13-14, 20-21
- Wordstock October 11-14 (Portland’s literary festival)
For more info, go to www.travelportland.com