Spring is officially here and the travel season has officially begun! Everywhere you look there are festivals, wine tastings, performances, farmers’ markets and more!
There are numerous reasons to stay at The Grand Hotel Bridgeport, whether it is for business, visiting family and friends, a wedding, a reunion, or just to get away. No matter the reason for being here, we encourage our guests to get out and enjoy what our local community and nearby towns have to offer!
We are of course just minutes from downtown Portland where you will always find a special event or festival, or you can explore some of these local gems (no pun intended!):
- Gem Faire (April 12-14). The renowned marketplace for gemstones, beads, jewelry and more at the Washington County Fair Complex.
- 9th annual Storytelling Festival (April 13-20) featuring professional storytellers, workshops and more! Check site for locations; admission is free.
- North Willamette Wine Trail Weekend (April 13-14) This annual event celebrates the best of Oregon Wine Country and features wine tastings, pairings, and entertainment, tours, hands-on activities, gifts and other locally crafted artisan products.
- Annual Lu’au at Pacific University (April 13) features an authentic Lu’au meal and traditional Polynesian dance, music and entertainment.
- Broadway Rose Theatre Company presents Always…Patsy Cline (April 18 – May 19). Based on a true story, ‘Always…Patsy Cline’ tells the true story of the country music legend’s unlikely friendship with fan Louise Seger and features many of Cline’s timeless hits.
- Favorite 5 Country Farms Spring Tour (April 19-21) Self-guided tour of farms in Sherwood, Tualatin and Wilsonville featuring friendly animals, good food, home & garden decor, art & crafts, antiques and more.
- Every Husband’s Nightmare Bazaar (April 23-27) features more than 100 vendors selling handcrafted gifts, collectibles and antiques, gourmet foods, and garden, floral and seasonal decor.
- Earth Day weekend (April 20-21) Various Earth Day activities and events are scheduled throughout the area.
- “Ed Asner as FDR” (April 21) Ed Asner stars in this one-man show as Franklin Delano Roosevelt for one night only at Pacific University in Forest Grove.
- Faire in the Grove (May 4-5) The whole family with enjoy the merriment at this medieval featuring food, performances, dance, music, storytelling, merchants, and more.
- Tualatin River Bird Festival (May 18) A celebration of wildlife featuring outdoor fun and activities, entertaiment, guided bird walks and more at the Tualatin River National Wildlife Refuge.
Check out the Visit Washington County Visitors Association Events & Festivals Calendar for a complete list of upcoming events. You can also visit the spring performing arts calendar and spring cultural arts calendar for more listings.
Visting Washington County in July? You are in luck! Summer is a wonderful time to visit our region, whether you plan to go shopping, wine tasting, or want enjoy the great outdoors, there is something for everyone.
Bridgeport Village (walking distance from our hotel) will launch a number of activities for the whole family this month including their very popular Summer Concert Series which kicks off July 12 . Vist their Event Center Calendar to learn more.
Here are some other upcoming local events and festivals we found on Washington County Visitors Association:
Oregon Lavender Festival (July 14-15, 2012)
Multiple locations throughout Washington County and neighboring counties. Explore six lavender farms in Washington County as part of this annual Festival: Helvetia Lavender Farm, Jackson School Lavender, Mountainside Lavender, and Seasonal Mary Herb and Flower Farm. Each location will feature specials and events, including u-pick lavender, food infused with lavender, and lavender plants for sale. Admission to the farms is free.
Forest Grove Concours d’Elegance (July 15, 2012)
Pacific University, Forest Grove, OR
Celebrate the Mercedes-Benz at this year’s annual Concours d’Elegance. The show features more than 300 antique and special-interest cars, as well as live music and food booths. Ticket prices range from $5 (youth) – $17 (adults).
Sherwood Robin Hood Festival (July 20-21, 2012)
Old Town, Sherwood, OR
Sherwood continues its signature festival, which celebrates Robin Hood, his Merry Men and Maid Marian. Enjoy Renaissance reenactments, an archery contest, a parade, sword fighting, medieval kids’ area, live music, a beer garden and more. Admission to the festival is free.
Washington County Fair (July 26-29, 2012)
Fair Complex, Hillsboro, OR
This annual county fair includes carnival rides, food, booths, and activities for kids. This year’s fair features shows, such as a truck and tractor pull, draft horse show and monster truck show, as well as a headline performance from Miranda Cosgrove, star of Nickelodeon’s hit series, iCarly, Friday, July 27, at 7:30 p.m. Admission to the fair is free; some events and shows may require separate, paid ticket; tickets to headline act are $20-25.
The Main Course (July 28, 2012)
Main Street, Forest Grove, OR
This unique event showcases local food and wine with an outdoor dinner held on Main Street. Local wineries offer tastings and pairings to top off the fine dining. Participants can choose from a wine and appetizer option or the wine tasting and full dinner. Ticket prices range from $30-80.
Springtime is here, which means- sunshine (on some days), Easter, Mother’s Day, warmer weather, and Portland comes alive with fun events and festivals. Here are just a few event highlights from Travel Portland to check out during your visit this spring:
Portland Farmers Market Saturdays, March 17 through December 15
Celebrating its 20th season, Portland Farmers Market operates vibrant farmers markets that contribute to the success of local food growers and producers, strengthen the food economy and serve as community gathering places.
18th Annual Spring Beer & Wine Fest April 6-7, 2012
A Taste of the Best! Sample from over 100 brewers, vintners, cheese makers and chocolatiers on April 6-7, 2012 at the Oregon Convention Center. The festival also features great food and music.
2012 Bridgetown Comedy Festival, April 12-15
The Pacific Northwest’s premier comedy festival, returning for its fifth year! Local comedians and fans banded come together at one of the nation’s funniest and fastest-growing comedy festivals.
Stumptown Comics Festival April 28 & 29, 2012
The annual Stumptown Comics Fest is the largest comic book convention in Portland, Oregon, dedicated primarily to the artists, writers, and publishers who make everyone’s favorite comics! “Best. Comic book festival. Ever.” -Travel Portland
28th Annual Cinco de Mayo Fiesta May 4th, 5th, and 6th, 2012
Waterfront Park will be transformed into a Mexican Fiesta for the weekend and features live entertainment, authentic food, rides, family fun, and much more!
Presented by Portland Guadalajara Sister City Association (PGSCA).
Taste of the Nation Portland, OR Tuesday, May 8, 2012
Held at JELD-WEN Field, this is one of the city’s premier food and wine-tasting events. The best part is ticket sales support Share Our Strength’s efforts to end childhood hunger. This event features food from the finest Oregon chefs and restaurants, wine, microbrews, local music, and a silent auction.
Crafty Wonderland SPRING SHOW - Saturday, May 12th, 2012
Portland’s Art + Craft Extravaganza features 200+ artists selling their amazing handmade goods!
Portland Indie Wine Festival May 14, 2012
Join the independent producers that represent the heart and soul of Oregon’s world-class wine industry as they pour their wines on May 14th at the Bison Building.