September is almost here and for many of you, it is time again for a new school year, which means it is time to stock up on supplies, electronics, backpacks, clothes, shoes, socks and more!
We want to help you get your star student off to a great start this year by showing you where you can find great back-to-school deals that are also TAX FREE! That’s right, there is no sales tax in Oregon on goods and services!
Below, learn more about some of our most popular and diverse shopping destinations perfect for back-to-school shoppers:
Not only is Bridgeport Village across the street from our hotel (really, it is) this popular shopping destination is a mix of upscale and local retailers. Be sure to check out the children’s section of Saks Fifth Avenue’s OFF FIFTH where you will find incredible bargains. You will also find other popular retailers like American Apparel, Urban Outfitters and Free People along with an18-screen IMAX Theater where you can unwind at the end of the day. Tip: Book the Grand Hotel Shopping Package and you will receive a $25 GiftCard to Woodburn Premium Outlets or Bridgeport Village!
Conveniently located right off of Interstate 5 between Portland and Salem, this popular Woodburn, Oregon outlet mall is the largest outlet center in Oregon. Here, you will find impressive savings at over 110 outlet stores like Adidas, Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, Cole Haan, Disney Store Outlet, Eddie Bauer, Fossil, Gap, J.Crew, Max Studio, Nautica, Nike, The North Face, Polo Ralph Lauren, Puma, Tommy Hilfiger, and more. Tip: Book the Grand Hotel Shopping Package and you will receive a $25 GiftCard to Woodburn Premium Outlets or Bridgeport Village!
Photo Source: www.tripadvisor.com
This Tigard shopping mall features all of the biggest department stores including a multi-level Nordstrom’s (the largest in the state)! Shoppers can find great back-to-school savings at stores like JCPenney, Macys, and Sears and more.
Smart Tip from WVCO: Washington Square Mall absolutely loves visitors. At the guest services center, bust out your out-of-area I.D. for a complimentary “Shopping & Dining Rewards” coupon book full of savings. Photo Source: WCVA
This destination is worth the short drive from The Grand Hotel at Bridgeport! The latest fashion trends can be found at affordable prices in stores like H&M, Crazy 8, Charming Charlie, and more.
Story Source: www.oregonswashingtoncounty.com
Spring is officially here and the travel season has officially begun! Everywhere you look there are festivals, wine tastings, performances, farmers’ markets and more!
There are numerous reasons to stay at The Grand Hotel Bridgeport, whether it is for business, visiting family and friends, a wedding, a reunion, or just to get away. No matter the reason for being here, we encourage our guests to get out and enjoy what our local community and nearby towns have to offer!
We are of course just minutes from downtown Portland where you will always find a special event or festival, or you can explore some of these local gems (no pun intended!):
- Gem Faire (April 12-14). The renowned marketplace for gemstones, beads, jewelry and more at the Washington County Fair Complex.
- 9th annual Storytelling Festival (April 13-20) featuring professional storytellers, workshops and more! Check site for locations; admission is free.
- North Willamette Wine Trail Weekend (April 13-14) This annual event celebrates the best of Oregon Wine Country and features wine tastings, pairings, and entertainment, tours, hands-on activities, gifts and other locally crafted artisan products.
- Annual Lu’au at Pacific University (April 13) features an authentic Lu’au meal and traditional Polynesian dance, music and entertainment.
- Broadway Rose Theatre Company presents Always…Patsy Cline (April 18 – May 19). Based on a true story, ‘Always…Patsy Cline’ tells the true story of the country music legend’s unlikely friendship with fan Louise Seger and features many of Cline’s timeless hits.
- Favorite 5 Country Farms Spring Tour (April 19-21) Self-guided tour of farms in Sherwood, Tualatin and Wilsonville featuring friendly animals, good food, home & garden decor, art & crafts, antiques and more.
- Every Husband’s Nightmare Bazaar (April 23-27) features more than 100 vendors selling handcrafted gifts, collectibles and antiques, gourmet foods, and garden, floral and seasonal decor.
- Earth Day weekend (April 20-21) Various Earth Day activities and events are scheduled throughout the area.
- “Ed Asner as FDR” (April 21) Ed Asner stars in this one-man show as Franklin Delano Roosevelt for one night only at Pacific University in Forest Grove.
- Faire in the Grove (May 4-5) The whole family with enjoy the merriment at this medieval featuring food, performances, dance, music, storytelling, merchants, and more.
- Tualatin River Bird Festival (May 18) A celebration of wildlife featuring outdoor fun and activities, entertaiment, guided bird walks and more at the Tualatin River National Wildlife Refuge.
Check out the Visit Washington County Visitors Association Events & Festivals Calendar for a complete list of upcoming events. You can also visit the spring performing arts calendar and spring cultural arts calendar for more listings.
Fall is just around the corner and this is the perfect time to indulge in some tax free shopping and a bit of “me” time as you relax in your hotel room. While you are on your visit, we suggest that you be on the look out for some of these fun local events recommended by our staff:
Ongoing: Events, concerts and tastings at wineries throughout the region. See northwillamettevintners.org for details.
September Event Staff Picks
- Music Fest NW in Portland September 5-9
- Tualatin Riverfront Music Festival September 8
- Bridgeport Village Girls’ Night Out September 13
- Tualatin Hispanic Heritage Month Celebration September 15
- Very Engaging Bridal Event at Bridgeport Village Sunday, September 30th
October Event Staff Picks:
- North Willamette Harvest Trail and Grand Tasting October 06
- The 26th Annual Great Onion Festival Saturday, October 13
- Smith Berry Barn Heirloom Apple Festival October 13-14
- Oregon Heritage Farms Apple Festival October 14
- 9th Annual West Coast Giant Pumpkin Regatta Sat, Oct 20th
More Portland Events:
- Art in the Pearl – Labor Day weekend
- Time-Based Art (TBA) Festival – September 6-16
- Feast Portland September 21-22
- Portland Fashion Week October 5-9
- Portland Open Studios October 13-14, 20-21
- Wordstock October 11-14 (Portland’s literary festival)
For more info, go to www.travelportland.com
I know there are many of you who have not finished their holiday shopping right? The Washington County Oregon Visitors Association has created a helpful shopping itinerary to help you take advantage of tax-free holiday shopping! Here is how you can finish all of your holiday shopping in a single day:
Start off at Washington Square located near three of Portland’s main roadways (I-5, HWY 217 and HWY 26). With ﬁve major department stores, 170 distinctive shops, nationally recognized restaurants, such as the Cheesecake Factory, and a large food court, Washington Square is a shopper’s paradise. This shopping center even boasts Oregon’s largest Nordstrom.
Next, visit Bridgeport Village, (walking distance to our hotel) one of the Paciﬁc Northwest’s premier fashion and lifestyle shopping centers. Consisting of 500,000 square feet, the center offers one of-a-kind boutiques and well-known brands including crowd pleasers such as the Apple Store, Saks Fifth Avenue Off 5th and J. Crew. Stop and have lunch at one of the dozen delectable restaurants, whether it is at a popular national chain or a one-of-a kind eatery.
Tea aﬁcionados ﬂock to the Stash Tea Retail Store, which features hundreds of varieties of loose-leaf and bagged teas made with leaves from around the globe. As one of the ﬁrst internationally recognized tea brands, Stash Tea remains to be one of the pioneers of Oregon tea.
Another option for the power shoppers: Take a drive down HWY 26 to 4 The Streets of Tanasbourne. Mixing European charm with shopping center convenience, this is a great place to meet for dinner. Enjoy tax-free shopping at more than 50 fabulous shops, or grab something to snack on at Buffalo Wild Wings or P.F. Chang’s before searching for great buys at Macy’s, REI, Abercrombie & Fitch or Coldwater Creek.
An entirely different option is Powell’s Books at Cedar Hills Crossing in Beaverton. This sister location to the famed Powell’s City of Books in downtown Portland is an ideal addition to a Washington County shopping itinerary. At 32,500 square feet, ﬁlled with new and used books, appearances by noteworthy authors, and a knowledgeable, book-loving staff, this bookstore is a haven for bibliophiles.
For more shopping ideas and a map to these locations, download the WCVA Shopping Guide.
Does back to school shopping have to be a chore? NO! Do you have to be a student (or a parent of a student) to enjoy tax-free back to school shopping sales and deals? NO! Our close proximity to two of the top shopping destinations in the Northwest make us a hot spot for shoppers to stay; so we have created Grand Shopping Package to accommodate you.
When you reserve your Grand Shopping Package, you will receive
- A one nights stay in one of our luxurious rooms;
- A $25 gift certificate to either Woodburn Company Stores or Bridgeport Village;
- Our unique “shopper’s survival kit,”;
- a $5.00 gift card to Starbucks.
Hotel amenities include complimentary covered parking, hot breakfast buffet, indoor pool and fitness center.
Call the front desk at 866-968-5757 for more info or to reserve your shopping package today!
Bridgeport Village in Tigard Oregon just outside of Portland, Oregon and steps away from our hotel. Stores and boutiques include Coach, Cole Haan, The Container Store, Crate & Barrel, Z-Gallerie, Eileen Fisher, Patrick James, MAC Cosmetics, Tommy Bahama, Under U 4 Men (and much more) along with the first Coldwater Creek Spa and the largest Regal Cinema in the state — now with an IMAX Theater. Reserve the Grand Shopping Package and you’ll receive a $25 Bridgeport Village gift card with your stay.
Woodburn Company Stores
Woodburn Company Stores is the largest outlet center in Oregon with big-name brands and outlet savings at more than 95 stores, including: adidas, Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, Columbia Sportswear, J.Crew, Polo Ralph Lauren, Nike Factory Store, The North Face, Under Armour and more! Located just 25 minutes south of Portland, off I-5 at Woodburn Exit 271. Reserve the Grand Shopping Package and you’ll receive a $25 Woodburn Company Stores gift card with your stay.
The Grand Gives Back 2010
This holiday season we have adopted the theme, The Grand Gives Back 2010 . We have purchased our poinsettias that decorate our lobby from Sunnyside Environmental School’s 2010 Wreath & Poinsettia Sale. This is a local school initiative to raise money for school activities by selling fresh holiday decorations.
In keeping with the spirit of giving back, we will also be hosting a Salvation Army Angel Giving Tree to benefit local families who need our help this season. To learn how you can help make someone’s holiday brighter, please come by our lobby or contact us at 866-968-5757.
Stay tuned- we will announcing more initiatives to give back to the community that has given us so much!
The Grand Hotel Bridgeport Black Friday Special
It’s no secret that retail stores are offering BIG discounts to holiday shoppers the day after Thanksgiving so we want to make your Bridgeport Village shopping experience the best. Our Black Friday Special is $99 and includes an early chef prepared breakfast to fuel your day (not to mention we are walking distance of the Bridgeport Village Shopping District- one of Oregon’s Premiere shopping destinations).
You will also have access to our luxurious hotel amenities including:
- Shuttle Service
- Indoor pool and spa
- Work Out Room
- Meeting Rooms
- Complimentary high-speed internet
- Complimentary covered parking
Holiday Events at Bridgeport Village
Bridgeport Village is bringing in the Holiday Spirit with their annual traditions! On Friday, November 26 (Black Friday) Santa will be rolling into Bridgeport Village on the Bridgeport Express Train.
That evening, you won’t want to the miss the big Light Up The Night Holiday Event from 6-8pm featuring Santa and Mrs. Claus, live entertainment from the Tom Grant band featuring Shelly Rudolph, and the official lighting of the stunning Holiday Tree in Center Court.
Our friends at Washington County Visitors Association put together this helpful guide for travelers to find the best local spots for holiday shopping! Enjoy!
Washington Square Mall
9585 SW Washington Square Rd.
Tigard, OR 97223
• Traditional major mall located in Tigard along Hwy. 217 near its junction with Interstate 5
• Built in 1974, expanded and renovated in 2005 to become one of the largest retail centers in the Portland metropolitan area
• Four anchor department stores including Oregon’s largest Nordstrom, 170 distinctive retailers including the West Coast’s only Dick’s Sporting Goods, five restaurants and 11-eatery Food Court
7455 SW Bridgeport Rd.
Tigard, OR 97224
• Easy-access location just off Interstate 5 on the border of Tualatin and Tigard
• European-style, outdoor shopping area with nearly 500,000 sq. ft. of retail, restaurant and theater space
• Blend of upscale national and local retailers, 10 restaurants, multiplex movie theater with IMAX
The Stash Tea Store
7250 SW Durham Rd., Bldg. J
Tigard, OR 97224
• Exclusive retail location of nationally recognized tea producer
• 200 loose-leaf teas and more than 80 in tea bags, including seasonal and rare varieties
• Daily free tea tastings, weekly tea samplings to compare varieties, teapots and gifts for tea lovers
The Streets of Tanasbourne
19350 NW Emma Way
Hillsboro, OR 97124
• Located just off Hwy. 26 on NW Cornell Road
• Outdoor shopping cluster of more than 50 specialty shops and national retailers, eight restaurants
Hazelnut Growers of Oregon
195 N. 26th Ave.
Cornelius, OR 97113 (moving to Hillsboro’s Orenco Station in August)
• The only hazelnut cooperative in the U.S. with more than 150 growers and 7,500 acres
• Largest processor and handler of Oregon hazelnuts in North America, founded in 1984
• Retail store sells wide variety of hazelnut products under Oregon Orchard and Pride of Oregon labels
Le’Stuff Antique Mall
234 E Main St.
Hillsboro, OR 97123
• Located in downtown Hillsboro
• Antiques and collectibles including furniture, pottery, jewelry and clocks, plus clock repair
Railroad Street Antique Mall
16167 SW Railroad St.
Sherwood, OR 97140
• Located in the heart of historic Old Town Sherwood
• Antiques and collectibles including toys, vintage posters, pottery, glassware, costume jewelry, furniture
Whether you have some back-to-school shopping yet to do or want to get a head start on holiday shopping- Bridgeport Village in Tigard Oregon just outside of Portland, Oregon and steps away from our hotel is a one of a kind shopping destination.
Our guests enjoy shopping in renowned stores and boutiques including Coach, Cole Haan, The Container Store, Crate & Barrel, Z-Gallerie, Eileen Fisher, Patrick James, MAC Cosmetics, Tommy Bahama, Under U 4 Men (and much more) along with the first Coldwater Creek Spa and the largest Regal Cinema in the state — now with an IMAX Theater.
Reserve the Grand Shopping Package and you’ll receive a $25 Bridgeport Village gift card and gift with your stay. Hotel amenities include complimentary covered parking, hot breakfast buffet, indoor pool and fitness center and plasma televisions.
Still not convinced? Enjoy this video from our friends at Washington County Visitors Association
News from Bridgeport Village Shopping center! They have announced the opening more great stores and restaurants exclusive to Bridgeport Village.
Eye Styles was opened Friday, November 6, by local resident and owner Phil DeYoung. Phil has 25 years experience in the field and wanted to offer customers a more personalized experience in a modern, upscale setting. Eye Style’s in-house Doctor, Christ Thorsland, will be available on weekends for eye exams and appointments. Phil and his team pride themselves on being active in the community and strive to give back. Eye Styles is located in A105, the former Hub Optix location across from Urban Outfitters!
AM-Living fills a void. Inspired by the Age of Sail, by exploration, science and cartography. Offering individual choice, complimenting both classic and contemporary themes. Our aim is to challenge the mind as well as the eye. Focus is on Design, Quality, and Originality. Our goal is to surprise and impress, offering lifestyle products of lasting value.
Beautiful, affordable styles for women. Passionate about fashion for every woman, meet Romy! “More Fashion, More Value” is our motto and our designers take this to heart. Whether you’re a romantic or a modernist, you’ll fall in love with our beadwork, our brocades, our wools, and our tweeds. Located across from Peet’s Coffee & Tea. 503-598-9235
Providing personalized dental care in a comfortable, state of the art professional setting for you and your family featuring advanced procedures, instruments and techniques. Our office offers Preventive and Cosmetic Dentistry, Invisalign, Zoom Whitening, Oral Surgery, Dental Implant Restoration and most dental services. Senior and Mall Employee Discounts. Insurance is Welcomed & Accepted!
Mio Gelato will be opening its doors in center court next to the Gazebo! Offering complimentary internet access, gourmet coffee, espresso, tea, fresh daily soup, Panini sandwiches and delicious gelato. Mio hopes to arrive before Santa!
Glassybaby is a Seattle-based, glass-blowing studio that specializes in small, colored glass cups that, when lit with a candle, give off a warm glow and provide a calming and beautiful effect. Glassybaby will occupy the Kiosk between Coldwater Creek and Talbots, during the Holiday Season. In keeping with their commitment of giving back, 10% of all sales before 12/31 will be donated to OHSU Knight Cancer Institute.
Yes, Black Friday is coming November 27……the day the official holiday shopping season begins- and the day that retailers everywhere offer shoppers tremendous savings on gifts. Smart shoppers everywhere will find amazing deals and festive events throughout the day at Bridgeport Village.
Bridgeport Village is one of the premier shopping destinations in the Pacific Northwest and a shoppers heaven. The center offers an exclusive mix of local, regional and national shops unlike any other shopping experience in Oregon. To sweeten the deal, The Grand Hotel Bridgeport is offering special holiday packages for travelers and shoppers staying with us that weekend. Stay at Portland’s newest luxury hotel! The Grand Hotel at Bridgeport is just steps from Bridgeport Village. Book the Grand Shopping Package and you”ll receive a $25 Bridgeport Village gift card and gift with your stay. To find out about hotel specials- call 866-968-5757 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are coming by- be sure to check out some of these special events happening this Friday!
The Bridgeport Express begins Friday, November 27 – Wednesday, December 23 11am-2pm and 3pm-6pm. A new addition to the holiday season, The Bridgeport Express will provide fun filled train rides around the village. This 35 passenger, solar operated train will take you to your destination. Frequent stops include: Sur La Table, Coach, Urban Outfitters, Borders Book & Music and in between Coldwater Creek & Talbots. This “green” solar train is trackless and accommodates children and adults. Rides are free!
Light Up The Night – Friday, November 27, 6pm – 7:30pm The holiday season begins with a festive celebration. Santa will be making his grand entrance on the Bridgeport Express and will set foot into his Renaissance Home. Be there as we light the Bridgeport Village Christmas Tree in center court. Afterwards visit Santa to get your holiday photo. Plus enjoy musical entertainment by Radio Disney!
Santa Photos November 27 – December 24 Monday – Saturday: 10:00am-8:00pm Sundays: 11:00am-6:00pm. Visit Santa in his Renaissance Home in center court! Children visiting Santa will be receiving a peppermint stick along with a coloring book.
Photo Credit: http://www.shoppingcenterbusiness.com/articles/JUL07/story1.shtml