Each year millions of couples around the world will exchange tokens of affection in the form of gifts, cards, candy or flowers in honor of Valentines Day on February 14. Restaurants are filled with couples celebrating romance over a special dinner; hotels get booked with couples who choose to celebrate with a romantic getaway (like our special Suites for Your Sweets Package)
So how did these Valentines Day traditions begin and who is this mysterious St. Valentine we keep hearing about? My search brought me to History.com which gave me some very interesting details to share:
I learned that the origins of Valentines Day are somewhat mysterious:
- *Legend has it that Valentine was a priest who served during the third century in Rome and was ordered to be put to death when he continued to perform marriages after Emperor Claudius II had outlawed it (so men would be better soldiers)
- *Another legend says that Valentine fell in love with the daughter of one of his jailers while in prison and actually sent the first “valentine” greeting to her before his death- a love letter signed “From your Valentine,”
- *Valentine greetings were popular as far back as the Middle Ages (written Valentine’s didn’t begin to appear until after 1400), and the oldest known Valentine card is on display at the British Museum.
- *Valentine’s Day as we now know it began to be popularly celebrated around the seventeenth century in Great Britain.
- *The first commercial Valentine’s Day greeting cards produced in the U.S. were created in the 1840s by Esther A. Howland. Howland, known as the Mother of the Valentine, made elaborate creations with real lace, ribbons and colorful pictures known as “scrap.”
Special Valentines Day Package: The Grand Hotel in Bridgeport is celebrating Valentines Day by partnering with Split Wine Bar to provide you and your Amore with a romantic getaway.
For only $199.00 (plus tax) you will be able to enjoy a fabulous dinner at Split Wine Bar and then return to a luxuriously appointed Jacuzzi suite. If you’ve missed out on the Jacuzzi Suites we are offering the same package added to a Classic King room for $169.00 (plus tax).
The package includes:
- $50.00 Gift Certificate to Split Wine Bar
- Fresh Flowers
- Gourmet Chocolates
- Bottle of Champagne or Sparkling Cider
- Late checkout
Don’t waste any time! These suites book up fast! Please call: 866-968-5757 to reserve.